Jacqueline A. Salcines, PA
Call for an appointment


Jacqueline Alicia Salcines


Statute-of-limitations-241x300 (1).jpgIf your forgiven debt, under a short sale, loan settlement or credit card cancellation and settlement, your forgiven debt is subject to taxation. You will usually receive a form 1099-C Cancellation of Debtfrom the lender. This form sets out the amount of cancelled or forgiven debt. You will file the 1099-C with your federal tax return the following year, and the amount of cancelled debt is added to your gross income.

There are however exceptions and exclusion that may save you from the requirement to report cancelled debt as part of gross income.

Exceptions and Exclusions:

Not all cancelled debt is subject to income tax. The IRS recognizes both exceptions to cancelled debt rules as well as exclusions. The following is some of the exceptions:

  1. Gifts, bequests, or inheritances
  2. Some qualified student loans
  3. Any debt that had it bee paid, would have been deductible by the borrower
  4. A qualified reduction in price offered by a seller
  5. Certain payments on the balance of a mortgage under the Home Affordable Modification Program

When a loan is secured by real estate property, such as a mortgage, and the lender accepts a short sale, you may need to report the forgiven debt as capital gains or losses on the sale of property. However, exclusions apply:

  • Debt cancelled under certain bankruptcies
  • Cancelled qualified farm debt
  • Cancelled qualified real property business debt
  • principal residence indebtedness under the Mortgage Debt Relief Act

The Mortgage Debt Relief Act covered debt forgiven from 2007 through 2013.

The cancelled debt is also not income if you receive a Form 1099-C as a result of:

  • You received the cancelled debt due to a bankruptcy; or
  • you are insolvent immediately before the cancellation of the debt.

Insolvency is defined as your debt exceed the value of your assets.

Cancelled debt can be challenged both PRIOR to the 1099-C being issued. That is why hiring an attorney to negotiate the short sale and make sure the borrower/seller is provided the proper classification for the home and debt forgiveness, is crucial. The term of the 1099-C will be listed on the short sale approval letter and once issued and signed, can not be changed or modified.

Cancelled debt can also be challenged AFTER the 1099-C is issued.

Don't go it alone. Speak to a knowledgeable attorney to handle your short sale so that you are aware of your tax consequences and can structure the best possible outcome for your needs.

Attorney Jacqueline A. Salcines, Esq., is also an accountant and can provide tax advice as well as negotiate the sale of your property and short sale terms. The first consultation is always free of charge.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Memberships & Affiliations

    • Avvo Clients choice Award 2017 Jacqueline Alicia Salcines
    • Top Contributor Award 2017 Jacqueline Alicia Salcines Avvo
    • Reviews Jacqueline Alicia Salcines Avvo
    • The fund member
    • Avvo rating 10.0 Superb Top attorney Real estate
    • Avvo Clients choice 2015 Real estate
    • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 Real estate
    • The Florida Bar 1950
    • Avvo rating 10.0 Jacqueline Alicia Salcines Top attorney
    • 2018 Top Lawyers
    • WWL | Who's Who Legal
    • Old Republic | National Title Insurance Company
    • Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce developing Business Building Community
    • District Court Of Appeal State of Florida
    • BBB Accredited Business
    • Preferred Legal Plan A new Wave of Legal Representation
    • U.S. Legal Services 1974
    • ARAG
    • Pre-Paid Legal Services, INC. And Subsidiaries
    • TVC Pro-Driver
    • Broward 1925 County Bar Association
    • Coral Gables Bar Association
    • Real Property Probate & Trust Law Section 1950
    • U.S. Women's Chamber of Commerce
    • CABA Cubon American Bar Association
    • Untied Badge
    • The Fund Solutions
    • DADE County Bar Association 1916
    • LegalShield
    • 2018 |ARAG | Elite Service Award
Email Us For a Response

Contact Us

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

706 South Dixie Highway
Second Floor
Coral Gables, FL 33146

Phone: 786-671-3887
Fax: 305-669-5283
Map & Directions

Monday 8:30AM–5:30PM
Tuesday 8:30AM–5:30PM
Wednesday 8:30AM–5:30PM
Thursday 8:30AM–5:30PM
Friday 8:30AM–5:30PM
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed