An Ejectment action refers to a lawsuit brought by a property owner who has someone residing in their property, without permission, and the individual will not leave voluntarily. The property owner, who is rightfully entitled to possession, must then remove the person who will not leave voluntarily. An Ejectment is different from an eviction because there is no lease or other document which establishes the persons right to be there. Different from an eviction action, persons in an ejectment action do not pay rent, have not signed a lease, and may have had the right to be on the property at some point but said right was terminated by the property owner. This lawsuit is known as an Ejectment.

Florida law allows for a legal action know as an Ejectment to remove a non-rent paying person living in your home, who has not signed a lease and has no title or interest in the property. Often times, this involves a person whom you have allowed to live in your home and who later refuses to leave when asked. Most commonly, this involves either a boyfriend or girlfriend, a family member or a friend who has been invited to stay in your home, who has for some reason become an unwelcome guest and refuses to leave when asked.

Once the ejectment lawsuit is filed, the defendant(s) will have 20 days to file a answer. If there is no answer filed within the required time period, then the owner is entitled to obtain a default, a default final judgment and the court will issue an order for the Writ of Possession, the document used by the sheriff to remove the person. If the person does file an answer, a hearing will be required and the court will determine rightful ownership. .

Ejectment actions may be very emotional, if they deal with family members or other loved ones who were once there with permission but now the permission has been terminated. If you have a guest who is no longer wanted, you should contact our office at (305) 669-5280 to review your situation and assist in getting your unwanted guest(s) out of your property.

Chapter 66, Florida Statutes- Ejectment, is the statute by which an unwanted guest or guests may be removed from your property.

The following is the Florida Ejectment Statute Chapter 66 as of 2016 :

66.011 Common law ejectment abolished.
66.021 Procedure.
66.031 Verdict and judgment.
66.041 Betterment, petition.
66.051 Betterment, answer.

66.061 Betterment, trial and verdict.
66.071 Betterment, judgment for plaintiff.
66.081 Betterment, judgment for defendant.
66.091 Betterment, payment by plaintiff.
66.101 Betterment, payment by defendant.
66.011 Common law ejectment abolished.—In ejectment it is not necessary to have any fictitious parties. Plaintiff may bring action directly against the party in possession or claiming adversely.
History.—s. 1, ch. 999, 1859; RS 1511; GS 1966; RGS 3234; CGL 5040; s. 21, ch. 67 254.
Note.—Former s. 70.01.
66.021 Procedure.—
(1) LANDLORD NOT A DEFENDANT.—When it appears before trial that a defendant in ejectment is in possession as a tenant and that his or her landlord is not a party, the landlord shall be made a party before further proceeding unless otherwise ordered by the court.
(2) DEFENSE MAY BE LIMITED.—A defendant in an action of ejectment may limit his or her defense to a part of the property mentioned in the complaint, describing such part with reasonable certainty.
(3) WRIT OF POSSESSION; EXECUTION TO BE JOINT OR SEVERAL.—When plaintiff recovers in ejectment, he or she may have one writ for possession, damages and costs or, if the plaintiff elects, have separate writs for possession and damages.
(4) CHAIN OF TITLE.—Plaintiff with his or her complaint and defendant with his or her answer shall serve a statement setting forth chronologically the chain of title on which he or she will rely at trial. If any part of the chain of title is recorded, the statement shall set forth the names of the grantors and the grantees and the book and page of the record thereof; if an unrecorded instrument is relied on, a copy shall be attached. The court may require the original to be submitted to the opposite party for inspection. If the party relies on a claim or right without color of title, the statement shall specify how and when the claim originated and the facts on which the claim is based. If defendant and plaintiff claim under a common source, the statement need not deraign title before the common source.
(5) TESTING SUFFICIENCY.—If either party wants to test the legal sufficiency of any instrument or court proceeding in the chain of title of the opposite party, the party shall do so before trial by motion setting up his or her objections with a copy of the instrument or court proceedings attached. The motion shall be disposed of before trial. If either party determines that he or she will be unable to maintain his or her claim by reason of the order, that party may so state in the record and final judgment shall be entered for the opposite party.
History.—s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 348, ch. 95 147.
66.031 Verdict and judgment.—
(1) VERDICT.—A verdict for plaintiff shall state the quantity of the estate of plaintiff, and describe the land by metes and bounds, lot number or other certain description.
(2) JUDGMENT.—The judgment awarding possession shall state the quantity of the estate and give a description of the land recovered in like manner.
History.—ss. 1, 2, ch. 3244, 1881; RS 1515; GS 1970; RGS 3238; CGL 5046; s. 21, ch. 67 254.
Note.—Former s. 70.05.
66.041 Betterment, petition.—If a judgment of eviction is rendered against defendant, within 60 days thereafter, or if he or she has appealed, within 20 days after filing the mandate affirming the judgment, defendant may file in the court in which the judgment was rendered a petition setting forth that:
(1) Defendant had been in possession and that he or she or those under whom defendant validly derived had permanently improved the value of the property in controversy before commencement of the action in which judgment was rendered;
(2) Defendant or those under whom defendant validly derives held the property at the time of such improvement under an apparently good legal or equitable title derived from the English, Spanish, or United States Governments or this state; or under a legal or equitable title plain and connected on the records of a public office or public offices; or under purchase at a regular sale made by an executor, administrator, guardian or other person by order of court; and
(3) When defendant made the improvements or purchased the property improved, he or she believed the title which he or she held or purchased to the land thus improved to be a good and valid title. The petition shall demand that the value of the improvements be assessed and compensation awarded to defendant therefor.
History.—RS 1516; GS 1971; RGS 3239; CGL 5047; s. 2, ch. 29737, 1955; s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 349, ch. 95 147.
Note.—Former s. 70.06.
66.051 Betterment, answer.—The plaintiff in the judgment of eviction may file written defenses to the petition within 20 days after service of the petition.
History.—RS 1517; GS 1972; RGS 3240; CGL 5048; s. 14, ch. 29737, 1955; s. 21, ch. 67 254.
Note.—Former s. 70.07.
66.061 Betterment, trial and verdict.—If an answer is filed, trial shall be on the issues made. If no answer is filed, trial shall be ex parte, but defendant is required to prove every allegation of the petition. If the jury (or if a jury is waived, the court) finds in favor of defendant, it shall assess:
(1) The value of the land at the time of the assessment, irrespective of the improvements put upon the land by defendant or those under whom he or she derives, and if any, the injury done to the land by defendant or those under whom he or she derives.
(2) The value of the permanent improvements at the time of the assessment.
(3) The injury, if any, done to the land by defendant or those under whom he or she derives.
(4) The value of the use of the land by defendant between the time of the judgment in ejectment and the time of the assessment or if defendant has been evicted from or has surrendered the premises, from the time of the judgment to the time of the surrender or eviction. The findings shall be specified separately on each of these matters.
History.—RS 1518; GS 1973; RGS 3241; CGL 5049; s. 2, ch. 29737, 1955; s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 350, ch. 95 147.
Note.—Former s. 70.08.
66.071 Betterment, judgment for plaintiff.—On rendition of the verdict the clerk shall ascertain whether the balance of the last three assessments (that is, of the value of the improvements, the extent of the injury and the value of the use of land), is in favor of plaintiff or defendant and ascertain the amount of the balance; if the verdict is in favor of plaintiff, judgment shall be rendered against defendant for costs, whether the balance of the assessments is in favor of plaintiff or defendant; but if the balance of the assessments is in favor of plaintiff, he or she shall have a judgment for costs in addition to the judgment for the balance.
History.—RS 1519; GS 1974; RGS 3242; CGL 5050; s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 351, ch. 95 147.
Note.—Former s. 70.09.
66.081 Betterment, judgment for defendant.—If the verdict is in favor of defendant and the balance of assessments is also in defendant’s favor, a judgment for costs shall be entered against plaintiff, and a further judgment that unless plaintiff pays or secures as hereinafter provided the amount of the balance of assessments against him or her within 20 days, defendant may pay or secure to plaintiff the value of the land as assessed.
History.—RS 1520; GS 1975; RGS 3243; CGL 5051; s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 352, ch. 95 147.
Note.—Former s. 70.10.

66.091 Betterment, payment by plaintiff.—The plaintiff may pay the balance in cash or may give defendant a bond with surety to be approved by the clerk, conditioned to pay said balance in two equal annual installments, with interest at 6 percent per annum to defendant. If plaintiff shall pay the sum within 20 days, or if the payment of the bond is received, satisfaction of the judgment shall be entered and all rights conferred on defendant by the judgment terminate.
History.—RS 1521; GS 1976; RGS 3244; CGL 5052; s. 21, ch. 67 254.
Note.—Former s. 70.11.
66.101 Betterment, payment by defendant.—If plaintiff does not pay or secure the sum within 20 days, within 20 days thereafter defendant may pay to plaintiff the value of the land as assessed or give plaintiff a bond with surety, to be approved by the clerk, conditioned to pay plaintiff the value in two equal annual installments, with 6 percent interest; or if plaintiff fails to pay the bond given by him or her when it becomes due, for 20 days after the expiration of the time fixed in the bond for payment, defendant shall again have the privilege of paying to plaintiff in cash the value of the land assessed. On the payment of the sum to plaintiff at any of the times hereinbefore mentioned, title to the land shall vest in defendant and plaintiff or those holding under him or her shall give defendant a deed to the land, tenements, hereditaments, and appurtenances, and if defendant has been evicted from or has surrendered the property, it shall be restored to him or her by order of court on motion.
History.—RS 1522; GS 1977; RGS 3245; CGL 5053; s. 21, ch. 67 254; s. 353, ch. 95 147.
Note.—Former s. 70.12.

If you wish to file an action for Ejectment, Eviction or Unlawful Detainer, contact attorney Jacqueline A. Salcines, a Florida ejectment attorney, today to discuss your case or schedule a consultation. Contact us at (305) 669.5280 or by email at



Florida law (Fla. Stat. §832.05)  makes it not only a civil offense to write a bad check, or issue a check that the remitter knows has no funds and will not clear, but also makes it a misdemeanor or felony in the State of Florida, depending on the face amount of the worthless check.

Definition of Worthless Check

Under Section 832.05(2)(a), Florida Statutes, it is a criminal offense for any person, firm, or corporation to obtain any services, goods, or other things of value by means of a check, draft, or other written order knowing at the time of the issuance of such check that there are insufficient funds on deposit to cover the transaction.

Although most prosecutions under the statute are directed at “bounced” or “bad” checks, the statute applies to a variety of orders to pay money and “commercial paper,” and to a variety of types of drawees and transactions. It even applies to debit cards.

In general, the term ‘check’ means a draft, other than a documentary draft, payable on demand and drawn on a bank or a cashier’s check or teller’s check. An instrument may be a check even though it is described by another term, such as ‘money order.’ Fla. Stat. § 673.1041(6).

Criminal Aspect of the Worthless Check:

Any person who issues what is coined a “worthless check” in Florida, may be prosecuted criminally under Chapter 832 of the Florida Statutes. A person is presumed to have the intent to defraud or knowledge of insufficient funds in the drawee bank unless he or she, or someone for him or her, have paid the holder of the worthless check the face amount of the check, together with a service charge not to exceed the service fees authorized under Section  832.08(5) of the Florida Statutes or an amount of up to 5 percent of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater, within 15 days (30 days for civil actions) after receiving written notice that such check has not been paid to the holder thereof, and bank fees incurred by the holder. Fla. Stat. § 832.07

This penalty does not apply to any check when the payee or holder knows or has been expressly notified prior to the drawing or uttering of the check, or

Civil Court is different.  Once can sue for three times the amount of the check, called “treble damages”.  See

Fla. Stat. §68.065 (for civil actions to collect worthless checks, drafts, or orders of payment) allows for recovery of treble damages, service charges, attorneys’ fees, and costs if its provisions are not followed. Before litigation is initiated, the form of notice set forth in Fla. Stat. §68.065 must be delivered by certified or registered mail, or by first-class mail, evidenced by an affidavit of service of mail, to the maker or drawer of the check, draft, or order of payment. If notice is properly provided, the maker or drawer will be liable to the payee for, in addition to the amount owing on the check, damages of triple the amount owing, a statutory service charge based on the check amount, reasonable attorneys’ fees, and court costs. If the notice is sent via certified mail and the recipient refuses to claim the notice or sign the postal receipt, the statutory notice requirement is satisfied.

The Required Notice

In order to file a civil action the remitter of the check must first be notified by certified mail or registered mail.  The notice must contain certain language as follows:

“You are hereby notified that a check, numbered _____, in the face amount of $_____, issued by you on  (date) , drawn upon  (name of bank) , and payable to _____, has been dishonored. Pursuant to Florida law, you have 30 days from receipt of this notice to tender payment of the full amount of such check plus a service charge of $25, if the face value does not exceed $50, $30, if the face value exceeds $50 but does not exceed $300, $40, if the face value exceeds $300, or an amount of up to 5 percent of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater, the total amount due being $_____ and _____ cents. Unless this amount is paid in full within the time specified above, the holder of such check may turn over the dishonored check and all other available information relating to this incident to the state attorney for criminal prosecution. You may be additionally liable in a civil action for triple the amount of the check, but in no case less than $50, together with the amount of the check, a service charge, court costs, reasonable attorney fees, and incurred bank fees, as provided in s. 68.065 and/or s. 832.07.”

Secondary persons receiving a check from the original payee or a successor endorsee have the same rights that the original payee has against the maker of the instrument, provided such subsequent persons give notice in a substantially similar form to that provided above. . Fla. Stat. § 832.07.

Prosecution for a Worthless Check

In any prosecution or action on a worthless check, payment of the check by the debtor does not constitute a defense or ground for dismissal of the charges. Fla. Stat. § 832.05(5).  If the court determines that the failure to satisfy the dishonored check was due to economic hardship, however, the court has the discretion to waive all or part of the statutory damages.

In a criminal prosecution, the maker of the worthless check may be subject to a misdemeanor charge if the violation involves a misdemeanor and the check amount is less than $150.00, or a felony if the check is in excess of that amount. Fla. Stat. § 832.05(4)(c). Penalties may include up to 5 years in prison or a $1,000 fine for Felonies and up to $300 or six months in jail for Misdemeanors.

Please keep in mind there is a statute of limitations as well for processing a claim against the payor of a worthless check and bringing suit.

At the Law Offices of Jacqueline A. Salcines, P.A., we have extensive litigation experience and have been representing clients with bringing suits for worthless checks for over 18 years.    Before you decide to write the letter yourself, contact us.  We will get it right the first time and process your case in the most efficient manner possible.

We are here to help and protect your rights. Allow us to go to work for you! We offer free phone consultations, and a no cost review of your case. 

Call us today.   305.669.5280 and see how we can help you.

About the Author:

Jacqueline A. Salcines, Esq is the Owner and Managing Partner of the Law Offices of Jacqueline A. Salcines, P.A. Real Estate and Business Law Group. With over 18 years experience including holding a dual degree in Accounting, her broad knowledge and experience in litigation  including giving numerous pro bono seminars for Legal Aid and Put Something Back project,  attorney Salcines serves to aggressively protect and defend our firm’s clients.

Call us today to set up a  free consultation to discuss your specific needs. We are here for you!

Main office 305 | 669 | 5280. Or email the attorney directly:


Jacqueline A. Salcines

Jacqueline A. Salcines, Esq.

TEL. 305 669 5280



Are you purchasing real estate in Florida?  Are you about to enter into a real estate contract and relying on your realtor to guide you around the maze of legal terms and obligations?   At the Law Jacqueline A. Salcines, PA., we have over 17 years experience assisting buyers of real estate and sellers, with their real estate needs.

Whether you are about to sign a contract and need the Real Estate Contract to be reviewed, or selling and don’t know what is being presented to you to sign, allow the Real Estate Law Firm of Jacqueline A. Salcines to guide you.

We are a full service title company and handle closings from beginning to end.

When it comes to title insurance and closing services, we are your real estate attorney.  We make sure that your interests are protected. Whether you are buying, selling or refinancing, we will handle all of the details and represent you from contract to closing.

Practice Areas

  • Real Estate Closings
  • Title Insurance
  • Contract Law
  • Real Estate Litigation
  • Short Sales
  • Debt Settlements
  • Negotiations

When you have legal concerns related to  real estate or probate, the Law Offices of Jacqueline A. Salcines is here to help. Our real estate attorney has been serving the community for 17 years. We work hard to ensure personalized legal representation by carefully attending to each individual matter.

Contact the Law Offices of Jacqueline A. Salcines, PA today at (305) 669-5280 to schedule your legal consultation.

The Law Offices of Jacqueline Salcines offers cost effective services designed to meet your individual needs and requirements. For strong legal representation, call us at (305) 669-5280 today! Attorney Jacqueline Salcines  has been handling all types of real estate problems for 17 years. If you have an issue with a contract, title insurance, tax deeds, quiet title or any real estate issue, contact our probate and real estate attorney!

 Main office 305 | 669 | 5280. Or email the attorney directly:


Jacqueline A. Salcines

Jacqueline A. Salcines

TEL. 305 669 5280